A few notes on choosing between Go and D for a quick project

Piotrek via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Mar 13 10:55:12 PDT 2015

On Friday, 13 March 2015 at 17:11:06 UTC, Israel wrote:
> Well see the real problem is that D cant seem to cater to one
> group or another.
> It cant cater to new/inexperienced people because it isnt
> portrayed that way.

I don't think D is a priori not suitable for  rookies. It just
needs more paint. Just show me what Go has what can't be simple
in D :)

> It cant cater to the hardcore/DieHard C/C++ people because it
> is difficult to convince them.

Or even impossible for some kind of personalities. C++ couldn't
convince Linus to abandon C. Tell him about D then ;) I suggest
to leave that type of people with their own toys. The better is
going to win eventually.

> You need to pick a target audience and stick with it...

Or create multipurpose tool. I think D is the best multipurpose
tool in the programming languages business. Of course D community
doesn't have enough resources to produces high quality products
on all fronts.

Number of resources is critical. D fights using its brilliance to
overcome lack of resources. Go is on opposite position.

Piotrek