dfmt options

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Mar 15 03:02:53 PDT 2015

On 3/15/2015 2:38 AM, Dicebot wrote:
> Walter, please understand, that no choice alone (in vacuum) is good or bad. "One
> true way" was good decision for Go because it comes as part of consistent
> opinionated approach to language design. It isn't just matter of formatting but
> applies to all decisions - either you do what language authors consider "right"
> or simply can't use the language properly.
>
> There is certain appeal in such attitude but many people (including me) chose D
> for its pragmatical power and possibility to tweak the language use for specific
> project/company needs. You will only get more community fragmentation by going
> this way.

In general I agree with you, but I don't understand how a brace style serves
specific project needs.

I used to get het up about how many spaces a tab has, but the older I get the
sillier those arguments seem.

Haven't we all got better things to do than argue about formatting styles? If I
was a manager paying programmers $$$$, I do not want to pay them to argue about
formatting, either.

D is a very flexible language, but there are things that were deliberately put
in the language to remove some types of flexibility. These were based on my
discussions with programming managers who were fed up with trying to reconcile
code bases produced by different teams. One of those is the debug statement.