dfmt options

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Mar 15 03:12:07 PDT 2015

On Sunday, 15 March 2015 at 10:03:15 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> Haven't we all got better things to do than argue about
> formatting styles? If I was a manager paying programmers $$$$,
> I do not want to pay them to argue about formatting, either.

But this is exactly the point! There is a team with already
established coding style. Suddenly switching those because of
upstream will create inevitable tension and decrease in
efficiency until people adapt to new style and form new habits.
And this will be investment with exactly 0 resulting benefit.
Most likely pragmatical decision would be "stick to existing
style and ignore dfmt existence". Or "fork that tool and add our
style" if that is small effort.

It is also matter of expectation. Until now D was very
un-opinionated language, probably even closer to language
construction set. If this changes for one case, one may fear more
similar decisions may follow.