dfmt options

Brian Schott via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Mar 15 03:25:07 PDT 2015

On Sunday, 15 March 2015 at 10:12:09 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> On Sunday, 15 March 2015 at 10:03:15 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> Haven't we all got better things to do than argue about
>> formatting styles? If I was a manager paying programmers $$$$,
>> I do not want to pay them to argue about formatting, either.
>
> But this is exactly the point! There is a team with already
> established coding style. Suddenly switching those because of
> upstream will create inevitable tension and decrease in
> efficiency until people adapt to new style and form new habits.
> And this will be investment with exactly 0 resulting benefit.
> Most likely pragmatical decision would be "stick to existing
> style and ignore dfmt existence". Or "fork that tool and add
> our style" if that is small effort.
>
> It is also matter of expectation. Until now D was very
> un-opinionated language, probably even closer to language
> construction set. If this changes for one case, one may fear
> more similar decisions may follow.

Before this gets even more out of hand[0] I'd like to point out
that handling the two different brace styles and spaces-vs-tabs
is about 20 of the nearly 2000 lines of code in dfmt.

These two options have been related to maybe 3 of the 100 issues
filed against the tool. It's just really not a big deal compared
to the line wrapping and indentation matching that needs to be
done regardless of which color the bike shed is.

[0] Remember when I said I was an idiot for starting this thread?