A few notes on choosing between Go and D for a quick project

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Mar 15 17:27:44 PDT 2015

On 3/15/2015 7:46 AM, Sativa wrote:
> Um, This is wrong. You already have simple languages. People are not going to
> choose D no matter how much you dumb it down. What sets D apart is it's advanced
> features... remove them or stop such enhancements and it won't be able to
> compete with any other language.
>

> In fact, the opposite thinking should be true. Add the most advanced feature
> rich set to D and then nothing will be able to compete with it. If, on top of
> that, you don't force someone to use them then you have the best of both
> words(power when you need it and simple when you don't).

What I mean is anyone can invent something complicated. It takes genius to find
the underlying simplicity that is just as (or more) powerful. We should always
be looking for the latter.

 > There's reasons why people by luxury cars. D is like an Cadillac and Go is like
 > a volt. If you turn D in a volt then what will people buy that like Cadillac's?
 > (Someone will create a new language trying to make a Cadillac and the whole
 > process starts over...)

I like the analogy of D being a fully equipped machine shop, as opposed to a
collection of basic hand tools.

When I was younger it was hard working on my car, because I could not afford the
right tools. So I made do with whatever was available. The results were lots of
scrapes and bruises, much time invested, and rather crappy repairs. Now I can
buy the right tools, and boy what a difference that makes! I can get
professional quality results with little effort.

(Ever try to install an engine without a proper hoist? Yowsa!)