Phobos Documentation - call to action

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Mar 18 12:50:24 PDT 2015

On 3/18/15 12:42 PM, Zach the Mystic wrote:
> At some point, it must be possible for documentation to get so bad that
> *nothing* is more important.

Strategically we're definitely there, and have been for a while (if we
define improving D's rate of adoption as important).

An anecdote: at work I'm making a pass through D code written by a few
coworkers - all brilliant engineers. They come from various backgrounds
(Python, Java, C++, Go) and it's no surprise that there's a bunch of
these langauages' typical idioms redone in D. This (especially due to
the Java and Go influence) makes the code very pedestrian, to the point
there's no visible advantage to D over these languages. You may as well
translate it to them with little trouble, and word has come about about
such.

A body of examples of idiomatic uses of the language is missing. I
speculate many people who take a look at D find it difficult to see
(using the material we provide) how it outdoes its competition.

Andrei