Phobos Documentation - call to action

Zach the Mystic via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Mar 18 13:16:00 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 18 March 2015 at 19:50:24 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 3/18/15 12:42 PM, Zach the Mystic wrote:
>> At some point, it must be possible for documentation to get so
>> bad that
>> *nothing* is more important.
>
> Strategically we're definitely there, and have been for a while
> (if we define improving D's rate of adoption as important).

Yeah, it appears so.

> A body of examples of idiomatic uses of the language is missing.

Unfortunately, I get the sense that's not the only thing that's
missing.

Full disclosure: I'm not an experienced team leader, so I can't
promise my suggestion will work.

That said, I suggest, for the purpose of turning motive into
action, a ten-day "Documentation Holiday", akin to Franklin D.
Roosevelt's "Bank Holiday" of 1933:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_Banking_Act

Guidelines for enhancements must be drawn up and made clear in
advance, and the community given sufficient notice to prepare for
the "holiday".

It's just an idea... but as you say, D is already there,
strategically. I didn't feel great about having to be the first
to respond to this thread, since I'm not a major contributor
(yet, anyway) - it looks like the sign of a real problem.