From the cycle "Topic of the day" - .gitignore: how big is too big?

Vladimir Panteleev via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Mar 22 03:17:04 PDT 2015

On Sunday, 22 March 2015 at 05:56:56 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 3/21/15 8:54 PM, Daniel Murphy wrote:
>> We add it to the .gitignore, then forget about it forever.
>> Having a
>> long gitignore doesn't cost us anything.
>
> ... but complicated/wrong clean rules in makefiles and clutter
> in ls. We should clean our shit. -- Andrei

I thought moving things around was also one of your pet peeves :)

I know for a fact that changing where win32.mak creates
phobos.lib is going to break at least Digger and my own D build
scripts which predate Digger. It will probably break others'
workflow too. Adding lines to .gitignore seems more reasonable
from that perspective.

posix.mak is already sensible in that it puts everything under
generated/.