DMD compilation speed

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Mar 30 15:53:18 PDT 2015

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 10:39:50PM +0000, lobo via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Sunday, 29 March 2015 at 23:14:31 UTC, Martin Krejcirik wrote:
> >It seems like every DMD release makes compilation slower. This time I
> >see 10.8s vs 7.8s on my little project. I know this is generally
> >least of concern, and D1's lighting-fast times are long gone, but
> >since Walter often claims D's superior compilation speeds, maybe some
> >profiling is in order ?
>
> I'm finding memory usage the biggest problem for me. 3s speed increase
> is not nice but an increase of 500MB RAM usage with DMD 2.067 over
> 2.066 means I can no longer build one of my projects.
[...]

Yeah, dmd memory consumption is way off the charts, because under the
pretext of compile speed it never frees allocated memory. Unfortunately,
the assumption that not managing memory == faster quickly becomes untrue
once dmd runs out of RAM and the OS starts thrashing. Compile times
quickly skyrocket exponentially as everything gets stuck on I/O.

This is one of the big reasons I can't use D on my work PC, because it's
an older machine with limited RAM, and when DMD is running the whole box
slows down to an unusable crawl.

This is not the first time this issue was brought up, but it seems
nobody in the compiler team cares enough to do anything about it. :-(

Lottery: tax on the stupid. -- Slashdotter