RFC: Pay-as-you-go, Portable D Runtime for Microcontrollers (and maybe more)

Jens Bauer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu May 7 08:19:21 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 5 May 2015 at 02:26:28 UTC, Mike wrote:
{snip}

> Putting it all Together
> ************************
> Users are not expected to use this code directly.  Rather, I
> envision toolchain, silicon, and board vendors will use this
> code as a small, but essential part of, their platform's D
> programming package.  For example, a package for the ARM
> Cortex-M family of MCUs might contain the following:
> * arm-none-eabi GDC cross-compiler
> * a library containing compiled code for the "d" folder in this
> repository
> * a library containing the compiled code for the
> "ports/arm/cortexm" folders in this repository

I'd like to insert CMSIS here. CMSIS should be shared between all
Cortex-M platforms.
My impression is that it's fairly easy to do; CMSIS also provides
convenience functions like WFI(), WFE(), ROR(), NOP(), CLZ(),
REV(), RBIT(), etc...

Note: It might be a good idea to add these as well: CLO(), CTZ()
and CTO()

> * cortex-m core startup files
> * the newlib C library
> * the C library bindings from Deimos