RFC: Pay-as-you-go, Portable D Runtime for Microcontrollers (and maybe more)

Jens Bauer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu May 7 09:29:50 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 7 May 2015 at 16:12:36 UTC, Johannes Pfau wrote:
{snip}

> Let me explain the git idea:

I think it's a great idea.

{snip}

> Porters simply grep for '"Not implemented"' and implement the
> function

This sounds easy.

{snip}
> (Even if we define formal hooks and a port/ directory structure
> porters
> could of course still fork&modify the code instead. They could
> probably
> use the techniques described here without our explicit support.

That was the only 'downside' I could think of; eg. if I wanted to
develop firmware for both the LPC and STM series, switching
branch for my repository all the time would not be ideal. ;)
-But of course, it can be solved easily by making a repository,
which contains a "read-only" directory structure of all branches
(or something similar).
-Such a repository could be generated automatically and tagged by
a script very easily.

{snip}
> Every port is in its own branch

In this case, the files must share the same parent directory, in
order to be updated by a merge with master; correct ?