Breaking changes in Visual C++ 2015

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri May 8 22:09:30 PDT 2015

On Fri, May 08, 2015 at 09:51:23PM +0000, deadalnix via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> >4. profiler
>
> Same things, this is a standard tool nowaday for any language worth
> considering. In fact, even if we had no specific support in D for it,
> C/C++ tooling could probably do it for us to some extent.
[...]

I use dmd with gprof with not-bad results. It's not perfect, but at
least I can get some useful info out of it.

The built-in dmd profiler is unfortunately unusable for me because its
function call counters wrap around far too early (IIRC they use 16-bit
counters or something like that), whereas the test cases I need to
optimize for are the long-running, steady state test cases in which
millions or billions of function calls are made.

Will this ever be improved?

Why can't you just be a nonconformist like everyone else? -- YHL