D casually mentioned and dismissed + a suggestion

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 12 15:11:07 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 12 May 2015 at 20:23:32 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> On Tuesday, 12 May 2015 at 18:35:10 UTC, FujiBar wrote:
>> For those keeping track of every mentioning of D in the media
>> (Hi Andrei!):
>>
>> The following article about Rust made it to the front page of
>> HN and /r/programming recently:
>> http://www.viva64.com/en/b/0324/
>>
>> Here is the part mentioning D:
>>
>> "Well, as you probably remember, it is far not the first
>> attempt to create a "better" C/C++. Take the D language, for
>> instance. It was released in 2001 and is a good language
>> indeed. But there are no vacancies, no decent development
>> tools, no remarkable success stories associated with it. The
>> OpenMW project was initially started in D but then the authors
>> suddenly decided to completely rewrite it into C++. As they
>> confessed, they'd been receiving piles of emails where people
>> would say, "you are making a cool project and we'd like to
>> contribute to it, but we don't know and neither feel like
>> studying this silly D". Wikipedia tells us that there were a
>> lot of other attempts besides D to kill C++ - for example
>> Vala, Cyclone, Limbo, BitC. How many of you have even heard of
>> these languages?"
>>
>> Walter would probably violently disagree with the "no decent
>> development tools" assessment. But I got to say that people
>> used to Visual Studio and XCode (like myself) not being
>> impressed  by D's 1980s-style bare basic command line tools is
>> not surprising.
>>
>> I think an IDE, one could call it "DCode" (great name, isn't
>> it?), which integrates all the available tools and provides a
>> modern graphical interface to them would do wonders.
>>
>> I used to be a command line / text editor / handwritten builds
>> scripts guy myself. But then I was forced to use Visual Studio
>> for a project and now I do not want to go back.
>
> I thought the problem was that D has a garbage collector. Or
> was that last week's one real reason that nobody will switch
> from C++ to D?

At work, we develop software in the JVM and .NET eco-systems,
with C++ being used for additional integration at the OS level,
performance and COM objects.

Alongside the IDE and OS vendor support, there is the mixed
debugging experience.

On my side projects, C++ is used for the business code between
Android and Windows Phone with the platform specific code written
in Java and C++/CX.

--
Paulo