D casually mentioned and dismissed + a suggestion

thedeemon via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 12 20:30:52 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 12 May 2015 at 18:35:10 UTC, FujiBar wrote:
> "Wikipedia tells us that there were a lot of other attempts
> besides D to kill C++ - for example Vala, Cyclone, Limbo, BitC.
> How many of you have even heard of these languages?"

I've heard of every one except Limbo.

> Walter would probably violently disagree with the "no decent
> development tools" assessment. But I got to say that people
> used to Visual Studio and XCode (like myself) not being
> impressed  by D's 1980s-style bare basic command line tools is
> not surprising.

I program in D in Visual Studio and it's fine, I like the
experience more than doing C++ in VS. Because the support for C++
in VS was always a meh, not comparable to C#, for example. Only
if you use a special third-party tool like Visual Assist X you
get some real benefits and only then you start to miss them in
VisualD.

> I think an IDE, one could call it "DCode" (great name, isn't
> it?), which integrates all the available tools and provides a
> modern graphical interface to them would do wonders.

Have you actually tried Mono-D and VisualD?