Uphill

bachmeier via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun May 24 14:35:11 PDT 2015

On Sunday, 24 May 2015 at 20:36:47 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
> Without wishing to dwell on the negatives of alternatives,
> might I ask what made you decide to settle on D?  Do you have
> collaborators who write code and, if so, how did the
> discussions with them go about this?  For your use case, what
> have been the main gains you have seen and how long did it take
> before these started to come through?

I'm not weaselcat, but I'm an academic and I also tried out Rust
before using D. I came to the conclusion that there was no way I
could ever expect any collaborator to use Rust. The syntax was
crazy. The requirement to study memory management issues
(something completely irrelevant) before even reading the code
was a non-starter. It's just a complicated language that is not
suited for the average programmer.

D is different. As long as I avoid templates, it's easy to read
the code I've written, without any experience with the language.
I tried C++ (Dirk Eddelbuettel devoted a section of his Rcpp book
to an example I contributed), Rust, and Go. The other realistic
alternative was Go, but I chose D as a matter of personal
preference.