Scott Meyers wants to bring default zero-initialization to C++, mentions TDPL for precedent

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Nov 20 23:20:06 PST 2015

On Friday, 20 November 2015 at 20:37:10 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> On Friday, 20 November 2015 at 12:12:42 UTC, Chris wrote:
>> Would you guys please stop calling PHP a language. JS and PHP
>> are not languages, they are a fiddly feckin mess, which
>> accounts for their high adoption rate. Sigh. Please, no
>> gainsaying now, no "Yes, buts".
>
> You may say that, yet, it both are widely used. There are
> reasons for that, and people are idiot is not one of them.

It is a big part of the reasons.

> PHP scales. This is why people use it. And this is why people
> will continue to use it. This is why Facebook, wikipedia,
> Baidu, wordpress and many others are using it. There is always
> a reason, and if you don't understand it, you are doomed to
> miss the point.

Whut?  PHP scales?!  If you simply mean that it is easily coded
by lowest-common denominator programmers, so it's easy to throw a
bunch of those low-skilled coders on the job, then perhaps that's
why you end up with monstrosities like this:

http://quellish.tumblr.com/post/126712999812/how-on-earth-the-facebook-ios-application-is-so
http://www.darkcoding.net/software/facebooks-code-quality-problem/

Potshots at your employer aside- ;) I could have done the same
for Wikipedia and Wordpress, don't know much about Baidu- I'd
honestly like to know how you think PHP scales, because it's
success has always been a perfect example of Gresham's law to me:

http://www.cs.uni.edu/~wallingf/blog/archives/monthly/2015-06.html#e2015-06-14T09_17_33.htm