I hate new DUB config format

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Nov 25 11:27:54 PST 2015

On Wednesday, 25 November 2015 at 19:02:18 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> On 11/25/2015 7:25 AM, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>> The files are very short, and you don't have to deal with them
>> much.
>
> That makes for an even less of a case for inventing a new file
> format. I suppose it's water under the bridge, though.

I'm certainly not in favor of inventing a new file format, but
since it _is_ used in a restricted context, even if it's a
mistake, I don't expect that it'll cost us much. Honestly, if
anything, I think that having multiple formats for dub config
like we do is more confusing than using SDL.

> Note 1: json does support comments:
>
>     "comment" : "this is a comment",

Well, that's potentially a good workaround, but it still isn't
really a comment, and it assumes both that that's valid that part
of the json file and that there isn't an actual field called
comment that an application reading the file would expect. It
likely works in most cases, but it is a hack brought on by a
major defect in the JSON spec.

- Jonathan M Davis