I hate new DUB config format

Mike Parker via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Nov 25 21:40:37 PST 2015

On Thursday, 26 November 2015 at 05:25:46 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:

>> There are plenty of us who prefer to use SDLang over JSON for
>> our config
>> files. We do not want to see support for it taken away when
>> there's no
>> need for it. It's a much cleaner format, IMO, popular or not.
>> Anyone who
>> finds SDLang somehow abhorrent can just use JSON and move on.
>
> This would be a lot more sensible if dub were not the official
> package and build manager. The way I look at it, it's a
> manifestation of a systemic problem: I can't work on dub and I
> can't monitor decisions regarding it. Yet that doesn't make it
> less official. So I need to trust other people to mind it in a
> way that is aligned in broad strokes with my view. If I say
> "well but that's very unlike my view" and I get back "some of
> us prefer it a different way and that's the way it is" then
> that trust is affected. -- Andrei

If there's an issue with having SDLang as the default for 'dub
init', then I don't see a problem with reverting to JSON as the
default. And I say that despite having revised the book I just
completed to reflect the latest DUB release, which does use
SDLang by default for 'dub init'. But I cannot see any
justification for removing support for it. Tools that need
information about a project's dub configuration should be using
the output of 'dub describe' anyway, which is and will always be
JSON. The format used by the project maintainer in the source
tree is irrelevant.

I also don't see how there is any trust being broken here. The
decision to add support for SDL was made long before DUB became
"official".