Swift is coming, Swift is coming

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Nov 25 22:14:45 PST 2015

On Wednesday, 25 November 2015 at 19:27:12 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> On Wednesday, 25 November 2015 at 16:02:18 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 25 November 2015 at 10:38:52 UTC, Chris wrote:
>>> On Wednesday, 25 November 2015 at 10:24:14 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>>>>

>> I don't really care how Swift does or follow it, but it will
>> be competition for D, as it has generics, unlike Go, and
>> doesn't have Rust's unfamiliar syntax or stringent emphasis on
>> memory safety.  It's an up-and-coming competitor for D people
>> to watch out for.
>
> Given that .NET now is being available on UNIX, with .NET
> Native support already announced at the recent Connect() event
> and features from System C# (Midori OS) are planned to be made
> available in C# 7.
>
> As example of planned C# 7 features, that D already enjoys:
>
> - ref types on local scope and as return values
> - slices
> - more are being evaluated
>
> Similarly Java with the upcoming value types, new FFI and AOT
> compiler on the reference JDK.
>
> I would advise not to look only at Swift.

I don't consider Java and C# real competitors to Swift or D, as
they're much older and won't attract the same users.  Certainly
not Java, with how verbose it is, haven't looked at C# too much.
But for those with legacy codebases, those moves towards AoT
compilation will certainly help keep those languages relevant, so
good for them.