Shout out to D at cppcon, when talkign about ranges.

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Oct 1 14:03:19 PDT 2015

On 10/1/2015 11:18 AM, Ali Çehreli wrote:
>  From the days that I used to frequent comp.lang.c++.moderated (before around
> 2009 or so), I remember an individual who was trying to sell the idea of ranges
> to the C++ community. As I remember, nobody took him seriously at that time.
> Reading the page above, I think that individual must have been John Torjo or
> Matthew Wilson.

It was Andrei's talk "Iterators Must Go" that was the turning point for C++ to
start paying attention to ranges.

C++ was inspirational to D in the foundational work with iterators. But
iterators are not ranges, and I don't see evidence that C++ had ranges before D.
Boost ranges are not what we think of as ranges.

It is true that Matthew first implemented ranges in C++, and then D. But the C++
version never got any interest from the C++ community, and went nowhere. I am
credited with helping Matthew in the CUJ article talking about his range
library. What I helped with was a D design, which he then implemented in C++ :-(

There's probably more in the thousands of emails I have, but I don't want to
spend more time spelunking them.