What keeps you from using gtkd or dlangui

Gerald via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Oct 6 06:38:26 PDT 2015

On Sunday, 4 October 2015 at 13:24:23 UTC, karabuta wrote:
> In YHO, what keeps you from using any of those fully(mostly)?
> Gtkd first,  followed by dlangui.  I need to know what I am
> signing up for.

I'm working on a search utility using gtkd, it's essentially a
GUI for grep. I was using a program called Search Monkey
previously but it hasn't seen much development and was pretty
buggy, so looking to replace it with something of my own. This is
my first experience using D and GTK so I'm a complete newbie.

My limited experience with gtkd has been very positive, while the
documentation is primarily reference material it's not very
difficult to figure out how things work with GTK based on
examples from C or pyGTK. I do use Linix and Gnome Shell so I'm
fully wedded to the Gnome HIG so no issues for me in terms of
using GTK as a toolkit since it's native to my environment.

I really like the fact that gtkd appears to be a full binding and
supports GTK 3.16 so newer GTK features like headerbar are
available. I had considered learning Go for this utility but the
lack of a full binding for GTK was a major impediment for me. I
had also previously fooled around with Python but didn't like the
language very much, the dynamic typing and indentation to
delineate blocks are not for me.