D and microservices

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Oct 7 04:07:35 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 7 October 2015 at 10:50:47 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
>> What do you mean by microservice examples? It is
>> infrastructure methodology, not specific code thing, any
>> simple network service can be viewed as microservice.
>
> At the Web services application level it is having a small
> framework for structuring the use of GET, POST, PUT, DELETE,…
> packets. Basically RESTful services.

Even web microservices are not necessarily RESTful ones. Nick has
correctly pointed out that there is a lot of spiritual similariy
between concept of microservice and traditional UNIX way of
designing small single-purpose command lines apps. It basically
gets down to "do as few things as possible in one application
(but do it good) and build a pipeline".

> At a non HTTP level I guess you can say all networking is
> microservices except that you want a protocol over TCP/IP or
> UDP/IP and shouldn't there be frameworks to assist building
> these things?

What utility would you expect from such framework?