Moving back to .NET

Kagamin via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Oct 9 07:29:52 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 8 October 2015 at 16:43:12 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
>> Pointers are of little use for a type that is always reference
>> type.
>
> You can have many different types of references.

You can have class references in D.

What @nogc features don't work without GC?

>> Reducing GC usage and emscripten backend are actionable if you
>> want to work on them.
>
> Changing the language is not "actionable" without creating a
> fork.

Reduction of GC usage is a work on phobos to make its algorithms
usable without GC. But you can think of phobos as an extension to
the language, there's a word that libraries are DSLs extending
the core language, to improve range implementation in phobos you
don't need to create a fork.

> Regarding Emscripten, I don't see much value in spending so
> much work on getting something that isn't good enough to work.
> A higher level approach is needed for compact code gen.
> Possibly also language adjustments.

If emscripten backend is not good enough for you, how it is
related to D?