Categorizing Ranges

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Oct 9 09:17:17 PDT 2015

On Friday, 9 October 2015 at 16:08:58 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> This is for the "Learning D" book I'm currently doing revisions
> on. In the chapter on std.range and std.algorithm, there was an
> imbalance with the latter being neatly categorized into the
> different modules. It looked odd having the std.range stuff all
> lumped under one section heading. One of the technical
> reviewers (rightly) didn't like my initial "Selfish" category,
> and I agree.

I can certainly understand trying to categorize ranges like this,
but at the same time, it seems like there's such a range of
things - pun intended :) - that they can do that it quickly
becomes about as tenable to categorize ranges as it does to
categorize _all_ functions, which is pretty questionable IMHO. In
general, I don't think I'd even bother trying to categorize them
except to the extent required to figure out which package or
module to stuff them in (like you have to do with any function),
but it can be more important to categorize stuff in a teaching
setting.

- Jonathan M Davis