Recovering options to getopt after a GetOptException is raised

Charles McAnany via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Oct 7 10:15:15 PDT 2015

Friends,

I'm a bit puzzled by the behavior of this code:

import std.getopt;
import std.stdio;

void main(string[] args){
     string val;
     GetoptResult opts;
     try{
         opts = getopt(args, std.getopt.config.required, "val",
"value you need to specify", &val);
     }catch(GetOptException e){
         writeln("You idiot. You had to give these options:");
         writeln(opts.options);

Expected result:
:) programName --without --correct --argument
    You idiot. You had to give these options:
    --val value you need to specify

Actual result:
:) programName --without --correct --argument
    You idiot. You had to give these options:
    []

It seems that the exception is thrown as soon as a missing option
is encountered. It would be nice if getopt would populate
GetoptResult.options before it threw the exception, because it
would make the above code work smoothly. Alternatively,
GetOptException could get a field containing the documentation
that was provided in the call to getopt:

catch(GetOptException e){
     writefln("You idiot. You didn't provide the required %s
argument (%s)", e.optionName, e.optionDocumentation);
}

If there is a way to handle this cleanly, I'd appreciate it. As
it is, std.getopt.config.required seems like it's not very useful
because it emits a rather unhelpful error message (containing
only the name of the missing option) and I can't see a way to
print a more useful message without checking all the options in
my own code.

Cheers,
Charles.