DIP74 - where is at?

Manu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Oct 10 16:25:37 PDT 2015

So I have another upcoming opportunity to introduce D in my workplace,
this time as a front-end/plugin language to our C++ infrastructure,
which is promising since I already have considerable experience in
this area (my work at Remedy with Quantum Break), and there is a lot
of recent work to interact better with C++, which we will stress-test
extensively.

You only get so many shots at this; but this is a particularly
promising opportunity, since the C++ code is a nightmare, and the
contrast against D will allow a lot of coders to see the advantage.

There is however one critical missing feature, DIP74... where is it at
currently? How is it going? Is it likely to be accepted in the
near-term? Some sort of approximate timeline?

I think it would be a mistake for me to introduce this without DIP74,
since we will rely on it VERY heavily, and the machinery to
work-around it will start to look just as heavy-weight as the C++ code
I'm trying to deprecate... but then waiting on it starts to look like
missing the window of opportunity.

Thoughts?