DIP74 - where is at?

Manu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Oct 10 23:55:41 PDT 2015

On 11 October 2015 at 14:35, Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, 11 October 2015 at 04:16:11 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
>>
>> If we go these DIP road, there is no coming back and this will get in the
>> way of a principled approach.
>

> Then come up with an alternative DIP which shows a better way to solve this.
> As it stands, it looks likely that we'll end up with some form of DIP 74,
> and if you have a better proposal, then now is probably the time to do it.
>
> Personally, I obviously haven't been following this closely enough, because
> I don't understand why something like RefCounted can't be made to do what we
> need with regards to reference counting and classes. It does get a bit nasty
> when inheritance and whatnot get involved, but C++ was able to solve that
> easily enough, and we should be able to do the same.

C++ didn't solve anything(?). C++ doesn't support ref-counting at all!
shared_ptr is not a part of the language, or a proper ref counting
mechanism. It's just a hack; it's awkward, and really inefficient (the
compiler can't optimise it).
ARC requires language knowledge. I don't know what language primitives
can possibly allow the compiler to do proper ref fiddling optimisation
with a lib?