DIP74 - where is at?

deadalnix via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Oct 10 22:53:50 PDT 2015

On Sunday, 11 October 2015 at 05:18:26 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> Well, if they won't listen, they won't listen. And if they're
> wrong, we'll be worse off for it. Unfortunately, I wasn't
> involved in those discussions and haven't looked into DIP 25
> much (I was too busy at the time of the major discussion for it
> IIRC). So, I'm not familiar enough with it to have a properly
> informed opinion. But convincing Walter and Andrei is typically
> pretty difficult. They do come around eventually at least some
> of the time though. So, as frustrating as such discussions can
> be, they do bear fruit at least some of the time (whether it's
> by them convincing you or by you convincing them). And since
> DIP 25 has only been implemented with a flag rather than adding
> it to the language proper yet, there's still time to convince
> them before we're fully committed to it - as difficult as
> convincing them may be.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

Truth be told at the time I was doubtful a DIP25 like approach,
but willing to give it a try. They had me convinced of that much.
Maybe that wasn't that powerful, but maybe that was powerful
enough for basics uses cases and would cut it.

Seeing what comes out of it confirmed that no, it won't, and once
you get DIP25 + DIP74 you are in the same ballpark as other
proposals in term of language additions, but barley measure in
terms of capabilities.