D 2015/2016 Vision?

Kagamin via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Oct 12 02:50:20 PDT 2015

On Monday, 12 October 2015 at 08:00:59 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> You can stick value types on the heap and pass around pointers
> or references to them, but then you're not dealing with
> polymorphism.

As soon as you choose to use value types you already get the
first problem: pointers or references. Neither of these two work
and there are two more options here, I've gone with the fourth.

> My point was entirely about polymorphism not applying to
> anything without using a pointer or reference.

My point was about structs not applying to anything that needs
reference semantics (in current state of D). Your suggestion to
do otherwise is a kludge and doesn't work well.