s/TypeTuple/AliasSeq/g?

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Oct 20 11:17:09 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 20 October 2015 at 18:09:31 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> On Tuesday, 20 October 2015 at 14:10:01 UTC, Dragos Carp wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 20 October 2015 at 13:18:39 UTC, Shriramana Sharma
>> wrote:
>>> Since TypeTuple is now an alias of AliasSeq, I suppose it's
>>> OK to replace all occurrences of TypeTuple in std.traits by
>>> AliasSeq?
>>
>> Unfortunately it is not so easy. I think that we can proceed
>> to replace `TypeTuple` in `std.traits`, only after we have
>> `AliasSeq`-like names for non-private names like
>> `BaseTypeTuple`, `RepresentationTypeTuple`,
>> `TransitiveBaseTypeTuple` or even `isTypeTuple`. IMO they
>> belong together.
>
> We should weed these out over time. Not really remove them, as
> to not break old code, but just create new names for these and
> remove old name from the doc and all.

We should probably deprecate TypeTuple and any other public
symbol with TypeTuple in its name, but those get used enough that
I'd wait for AliasSeq to be out for at least a release or two
before doing that. Otherwise, it would just create too many
deprecation messages for many folks given how heavily TypeTuple
is used. But if we don't deprecate it eventually, we'll probably
have to keep explaining both TypeTuple and AliasSeq rather than
just AliasSeq, because the uses of TypeTuple won't necessarily go
away if we don't deprecate it.

- Jonathan M Davis