I have this game engine...

Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Oct 31 18:43:22 PDT 2015

On 01/11/15 2:33 PM, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> So, I just wanted to put this idea out there, and see what other
> people make of it.
>
> I have this game engine (https://github.com/TurkeyMan/fuji), it's
> lived for about 12 years now (first commit in 2004, and it existed
> prior before source control). I called it 'Fuji' (a modest, yet
> pleasing and attractive mountain). It supports (or has supported)
> shit-loads of platforms; I'm a game-engine dev for life, and I have a
> fetish for portability, and niche platform support.
> Needless to say, it has had a LOT of time and energy put into it, and
> I would say it's infrastructurally better than most proprietary
> commercial game-engines I've worked with (although there are some
> missing features, I just implement what I need), mainly in that I have
> the luxury to aggressively refactor when design decisions turned out
> to be mistakes, and no deadlines to meet.
> It is a very good example of what we use in real-world AAA gamedev.
>
> It's written in C, obviously. It has comprehensive bindings for D,
> which I'm pretty sure I'm the only one that's ever used, and I use it
> in all my modern D projects.
>
> Anyway. I'm spending less time on hobby game-dev these days, obviously
> I'm not going to make the worlds next big game engine... Hobbyists
> will just use Unity. I'm not quite sure what to do with it.
>
> I have been thinking about full-scale porting to D, and it would serve
> there is a massive-scale long-term codebase, with portability as it's
> primary objective, and I don't know of another project quite like this
> in the D ecosystem? Also, perhaps D gamedevs might be interested in an
> all-D game engine they can use and hack on.
>
> So, when I think on that, I consider what would be lost... and the
> answer is; almost all platforms. But this is something that can be
> addressed.
>
> If people find this to be an interesting project, and I do take some
> time to do this port, what I'd really love is to work together with
> some of the niche platform support guys and use it to stress test
> toolchains for various platforms. I'd also like help from guys like
> Johannes to make regularly released builds of some console
> cross-compilers available so that it can keep on building.
> The CI of this project for those platforms would more-or-less verify
> that the toolchains and druntime+friends are working.
>
> It seems like a pretty big project, but I can't think of a better use
> for this codebase right now.
>
> Does this generally interest anyone? The thought of it makes me
> nervous, but I also think this might be the most valuable thing I can
> do with this code today.
> Alternative would be to port to Rust ;)

After completing std.experimental.color, would you mind doing the same
sort of thing for audio?
As you know I'm slowing building up code for game dev:
https://github.com/rikkimax/alphaPhobos

You have a lot of good code there, it would be nice to rebuild most
abstractions that are commonly used out. Ok, I have another agenda then
what you want, but still :p