dmd codegen improvements

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Sep 2 13:50:01 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 2 September 2015 at 19:05:32 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> On 8/29/2015 9:16 PM, Ola Fosheim Grostad wrote:
>> Here is a good list:
>> [...]
>> 5. Performance.
>
> Ironically, you guys complained in this thread when that gets
> worked on.

I agree that having a native D backend is a good thing. In fact,
I'd very much like to see WebAssembly/asm.js codegen built around
a backend that create compact builds since download size is an
issue. Which is a different kind of "performance".

I just don't see how I could use the current backend to achieve
it. Maybe with your experience you could at some point in the
future lay the foundation for a new a free backend, that is more
minimalistic than LLVM, but that also could be used for the web?