Current state of GUI's

motaito via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 3 23:55:29 PDT 2015

On Friday, 4 September 2015 at 03:36:37 UTC, Shannon wrote:
> Anyway, though I have so enjoyed the huge part of Qt that is
> non-gui, and especially their model/view components where I can
> do all my model manipulation behind the scenes and practically
> hot-swap or connect multiple views to a model.

I have rarely a need for non-gui apps myself. Maybe I have been
looking at D with wrong expectations to begin with. QT has some
nifty tools :) I have to admit that I became lazi with gui
modeling, after having spent lots of time using c#. With WPF you
practically get sorting and filtering of tables for free. I have
come to really like the MVVM pattern with WPF. It is very
convenient.

> And I've found a novel way to relatively easily hook up thin Qt
> graphical interfaces on top of the commandline app that
> interacts with JSON via stdin/stdout as it does on servers.

That sound very interesting!

> So, best of both worlds.  The D implementation is generally
> easier/more enjoyable for the actual guts of the tool, and I
> get a perfectly slick Qt user interface.

That's exactly was I was hoping for with D. Maybe I should try to
give your approach a try.

> sorry, this is already too long.  I mean to open up and example
> repo/wiki with that pattern. RSN (Real Soon Now)

If you have the time, please to so!