Current state of GUI's

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 4 02:12:22 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 3 September 2015 at 15:15:47 UTC, motaito wrote:

> Thanks for the details! I was afraid, of something like this.
> To me D doesn't seam very competitive without a complete
> toolset :( Given that D has been around for a while now I am
> somewhat surprised it's not further along. I know it's a lot of
> work and not easy to do but clearly there has been a need for
> this for many years now. The resources I found were several
> years old (not including that they must have been working on it
> for a while before abandoning the project). It will be hard to
> compete with something like QT.
>
> I was hoping for a cross platform solution that would deliver
> good performance without the complexity of c/c++. But if there
> is no built in solution QT seams a better option. I wanted to
> avoid QT because of the added complexity and the QT-windows
> tend to lag on a windows platform. This may go away with
> updates and bugfixes though.
>
> Anyway, I hope you will be successful with alphaPhobos. I think
> D needs it, so don't abandon it! I will keep an eye out and
> check again in about a year or so. But for now I have to
> rethink whether to use D or not.
>
> Out of curiosity, why do you think that I wouldn't want a
> Phobos solution? Wouldn't an integrated solution be better? I
> would not have to maintain a build of an external third party
> project, that may or may not be abandoned in the future, not
> knowing whether there will be updates, bugfixes or missing
> features to be added. It seams like quite a bit extra
> management for my project if I have to keep a third party
> project up to date and may need to adjust my code due to an
> update in an external project.

Don't give up yet. I've learned that a D GUI is not so important.
There is a plethora of platforms and devices (mobile phones,
tablets, PCs etc etc), so it's better not to get married to one
particular UI. Keep your program GUI-agnostic and then you can
connect it to any GUI you want. And D is easy to connect to:
C(++), Lua (LuaD) and Python (PyD).

With D you can concentrate on the program, the GUI could be
anything. E.g. look at how the DCD/Dscanner plug-in works with
Textadept and other editors.

https://github.com/Hackerpilot/DCD/wiki/IDEs-and-Editors-with-DCD-support