Moving back to .NET

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Sep 22 08:34:18 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 22 September 2015 at 14:46:30 UTC, Ola Fosheim
Grøstad wrote:
> On Tuesday, 22 September 2015 at 13:38:33 UTC, Chris wrote:
>> too long. But as I said before, it's only from D that users
>> expect perfection, other languages are accepted as they are,
>> warts and all.
>
> I don't think that is true.

I do, because every other (new) language is embraced as _the_ way
to go, while in the D community even minor issues are blown out
of proportion.

>  A problem for D today is that D1 was originally deliberately
> constrained, which made perfect sense when the language was
> small (just like it makes sense for Go today).  But D2 is
> deliberately open, yet D2 has added features without redefining
> the core language from D1 first. It is possible to fix it, by
> defining a minimal D language and move everything else to
> libraries, but not without breaking backwards compatibility.

Then we need a transition strategy. I wouldn't mind refactoring
my code in order to adapt it to changes that are for the better
in the long run. However, I wouldn't want it to happen in a
sudden way that would render all my code useless. Nobody would
accept this.