Moving back to .NET

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Sep 22 07:46:28 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 22 September 2015 at 13:38:33 UTC, Chris wrote:
> too long. But as I said before, it's only from D that users
> expect perfection, other languages are accepted as they are,
> warts and all.

I don't think that is true. It has been common among C++ users to
build custom libraries with very little use of the standard
library. C++ has never been accepted with warts and all. It is
just C++ was the only option next to C, so people have rolled
their own _gradually_ moving from C towards the C++ feature set.

Like, I wrote my own array reference library in the spring, but I
am now replacing it with a C++17 prototype array_view since an
implementation is available from Microsoft now.

What has made C and C++ tolerable is that they are very adaptable
languages with very few deliberate constraints and runtime
requirements.  A problem for D today is that D1 was originally
deliberately constrained, which made perfect sense when the
language was small (just like it makes sense for Go today).  But
D2 is deliberately open, yet D2 has added features without
redefining the core language from D1 first. It is possible to fix
it, by defining a minimal D language and move everything else to
libraries, but not without breaking backwards compatibility.

C/C++ are stuck in the 70s as far as memory goes, but D is still
undecided. Leaving the field totally open for Rust who is moving
quite fast AFAICT.