Moving back to .NET

alienhunter3 via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Sep 23 14:29:00 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 23 September 2015 at 18:36:01 UTC, rumbu wrote:

> IDE is not just a nice interface to write code. It's a way to
> organize files, AST based file browsing, github integration,
> and - the most important aspect for me - is the *integrated
> debugging support*. I'll never use dmd from command line and
> the lack of IDE support would be definitely a stopper for me.
>
> The same people not minding the lack of IDE support are usually
> the Linux guys. Personally, I don't know any Windows developer
> masochistic enough to use the command line when an IDE is
> available for the task described above.

The weird thing to me about this is that I am a Linux guy, and
the stuff that I do in D with Linux is done with
MonoDevelop(Xamarin) and Mono-D.  I create solutions/projects
just like I do for .NET stuff in Windows.  Granted, you have to
follow instructions to set up the compiler, so it is slightly
harder than .NET where you don't really have to set anything up.

Still, Mono-D in Windows and Linux has met all of my IDE needs.
Are there some common IDE features that Mono-D/Xamarin don't have
that are deal-breakers for the .NET folks?