Moving back to .NET

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 25 01:33:35 PDT 2015

On Friday, 25 September 2015 at 04:26:26 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> On Friday, 25 September 2015 at 03:00:12 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
> >wrote:
> On Friday, 25 September 2015 at 03:00:12 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
> wrote:
>>
>> I do kind of wonder though what MS would do if the majority of
>> Windows programmers really got a taste of how great the
>> command line is and started complaining to MS en masse about
>> how MS needs to have a proper command line - preferably even
>> port over something like bash or zsh with all of the fantastic
>> tools that come with that. I don't see any reason why they
>> couldn't do that, but they're completely focused on GUIs and
>> doing their own thing.
>
> MYSYS 2[1] is bash for Windows and has many Linux tools
> available, using packman to manage them. Then there's also git
> Bash[2], which is primarily focused on git but does provide
> other tools (nowhere near what's available for MSYS 2, though).
>
> [1] http://sourceforge.net/p/msys2/wiki/MSYS2%20installation/
> [2] https://git-for-windows.github.io/

I currently use the bash shell that gets installed with git (so I
assume that that's the git bash that you mention), and it's a
significant improvement over having to deal with what Windows
provides, but it's still a far cry from actually having a
full-blown *nix environment. I'll have to take a look at msys at
some point, and maybe I should look at cygwin again (I had a
number of problems with it when I tried it last, but that was
several years ago now).

- Jonathan M Davis