Moving back to .NET

John Colvin via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 25 01:53:39 PDT 2015

On Friday, 25 September 2015 at 07:26:13 UTC, rumbu wrote:
> On Friday, 25 September 2015 at 04:38:36 UTC, Rikki Cattermole
> wrote:
>> On 25/09/15 4:11 PM, Sebastiaan Koppe wrote:

>>> Probably nothing, since they have PowerShell
>>>
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_PowerShell#Comparison_of_cmdlets_with_similar_commands
>>>

>> Unfortunately yup that is there replacement.
>> Funny thing, the only people really using it are networkers.
>> Not programmers. Who would have thought?
>> Even though it is C# like and supports .net libs.
>
> This is not funny even for an Windows admin. Managing Microsoft
> Exchange is done 90% from command line, and our mail admin is
> complaining constantly for the lack of desktop tools (we even
> bought some gui tools for that). Luckily, the last Exchange
> version has a nice web interface for administration. Command
> line is limited for visual tasks like adding and resizing
> pictures of the employees in the address book, for example.
>
> I don't buy this, command line is something obsolete compared
> to any gui/web interface, at least in Windows world.

Perhaps you've been very lucky with the quality of the
built-for-purpose GUI tools you've had to use?

> Starting Visual Studio on my machine takes 2 seconds,

What magic are you doing to achieve this? It has always taken >30
seconds on mine.

> i don't buy either the fact it's easier to write your own batch
> file to compile code instead of clicking some checkboxes or
> switching instantly between Debug/Release versions of your code.

It's about trading a tiny amount of convenience for a much larger
payoff in control, simplicity, extensibility and reproducibility.
There's are middle ways as well, like using one of the many build
tools out there, perhaps with some IDE integration if you really
must.

> And I don't use dub, last time I checked, it's messing with my
> AppData folder.

"I don't use this program, it's storing internally used data in
the folder specifically designated for programs to store
internally used data in" whut?