Moving back to .NET

Kagamin via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 25 08:21:32 PDT 2015

On Friday, 25 September 2015 at 14:54:53 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> Do you mean build from the command line? I did that at my
> previous job where we were using cmake and had made the
> directory structure very neat, and all of the VS stuff was
> separate from the actual code, since we didn't build in the
> source directories, but at my current job, everything was set
> up with VS by folks who use VS for everything, and the
> directory structure is a complete mess, making doing stuff from
> the command line a lot messier than it should be.

Doesn't msbuild build it? We have our projects set up with VS
too, and it's built by msbuild just fine in a single command. In
fact one of our developers builds the solution from command line
too and he uses CLI TFS cilent.

> So, we could have had decent source control, but we're stuck
> with TFS instead - probably because most of the devs involved
> are too Windows-centric.

TFS is also a bug tracker integrated with source control, like
Fossil.

> And given how messy the TFS branching stuff is (e.g. it doesn't
> retain history when merging)

It shows commit history as a tree for me with branches where they
came from.