Moving back to .NET

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 25 09:02:16 PDT 2015

On Friday, 25 September 2015 at 15:21:34 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
> On Friday, 25 September 2015 at 14:54:53 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
> wrote:
>> Do you mean build from the command line? I did that at my
>> previous job where we were using cmake and had made the
>> directory structure very neat, and all of the VS stuff was
>> separate from the actual code, since we didn't build in the
>> source directories, but at my current job, everything was set
>> up with VS by folks who use VS for everything, and the
>> directory structure is a complete mess, making doing stuff
>> from the command line a lot messier than it should be.
>
> Doesn't msbuild build it? We have our projects set up with VS
> too, and it's built by msbuild just fine in a single command.
> In fact one of our developers builds the solution from command
> line too and he uses CLI TFS cilent.

I don't know. I've never used msbuild (I've always used devenv
when building from the command line), but I frequently need to
build individual projects and not just the whole solution as
well, so simply telling it to build everything wouldn't always be
what I would need. I could definitely do it on the command line
regardless, but I need the debugger often enough at this point,
that I just leave VS open and use it to build and deal with TFS,
though I do use gvim for editing.

At my last job, I could do almost everything in Linux and mostly
just used Windows to make sure that the Windows build worked or
occasionally to debug something if the app in question were for
Windows (the libraries were cross-platform, but the applications
weren't). So, I rarely needed VS, and building from the command
line was simpler. Where I am now, I need VS for debugging often
enough that it's less of a gain. I may try and figure out how to
use TFS from the command line though and do more there instead.

>> So, we could have had decent source control, but we're stuck
>> with TFS instead - probably because most of the devs involved
>> are too Windows-centric.
>
> TFS is also a bug tracker integrated with source control, like
> Fossil.

Yes, but that still doesn't make it a good choice to use. There
are plenty of other bug trackers (some of which are free). And
even if you want to use TFS for your bug tracker, it actually
supports git for source control. And given how truly horrible TFS
is as source control, I don't understand how anyone could use it
unless they're forced to or simply don't know better.

>> And given how messy the TFS branching stuff is (e.g. it
>> doesn't retain history when merging)
>
> It shows commit history as a tree for me with branches where
> they came from.

I don't know. I don't manage our branches, but I was told that
the commit history was lost when merging. If that's not
necessarily the case, maybe it has something to do with how our
build guy does things. If so, that might have something to do
with why git-tfs doesn't work with our repos. Our build guy could
just be doing something weird that screws with things.

- Jonathan M Davis