Pathing in the D ecosystem is generally broken (at least on windows)

Artur Skawina via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Sep 26 07:24:46 PDT 2015

On 09/26/15 13:10, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 9/26/2015 1:21 AM, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>> I'll leave that to the GDC and LDC teams.
>>
>> And right there is the problem as I see it, summarised in one sentence ;)
>>
>> If you take the D ecosystem as aggregate, these issues are just as
>> much issues for the core dev team as they are for these couple of guys
>> with a distinctly unfair burden.
>
> Everything is unfair, but the idea behind having 3 compilers is there is no one right way to make a compiler. Me telling the LDC and GDC teams what to do and trying to be their manager is inappropriate.

I'm pretty sure what was meant was more (tri-directional) coordination,
not management.

> The CV8 support in DMD is open source and the format of the CV8 records is readily apparent by reading that source code. There's nothing magical about it. It's about a thousand lines of code.
>
>   https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/blob/master/src/backend/cv8.c

Given the DMD licensing situation, nobody will (or should) even look
inside the DMD repo for info. Especially that "backend" string is
really scary. I decided to blindly trust your words above, and, with
trembling hands, somehow managed to click that link. Phew. That file
really appears to be boost licensed.

> I'm flattered that you believe I am such a superman I can do leading edge work on three totally different modern compilers simultaneously, and work on the language design, run D conferences, do presentations on D, help people with the daily emails asking for help, write articles, etc. But I assure you I am not that good. Oh, and I'm asked to write an IDE, too. I got a sincere proposal yesterday that I write a gui D debugger. I suppose I could do that before lunch tomorrow!

The one thing that you, and only you, can do is to make the available
free parts accessible, for example by publishing a git repo with them,
but w/o any non-open-source code. Nobody else can do that (ie the
result wouldn't be sufficiently trustworthy).

Open source code hidden somewhere deep inside a non-free compiler
implementation might just as well not exist, as noone interested
will be willing to look for it there.

artur