More D blog posts and Youtube tutorials

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Sep 29 11:56:32 PDT 2015

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 06:41:49PM +0000, karabuta via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> Everyday we argue about why other languages are getting more users
> than D due to certain design decisions they make. But IMO, all those
> languages suck :). There is sugar in D, no honey!.
>

> The problem I see is very few people are really aware of D as a
> creation out experience and research. I hurts so bad that there is
> almost nothing to find in terms of tutorials and blog posts for D.
>

> I think D really need such things. Of course I would if I was not
> still learning D.
>
> How bad will a 10 mins screencast hurt? I really like the way the
> other guys utilize Google hangouts even though their language of
> choice suck, IMHO.
[...]

The difference is that D is driven by volunteer work, whereas the other
"big" languages have commercial support behind them, that can pay people
to do things like blogs or articles, or other such marketing strategy.

Unfortunately, a volunteer-driven project means that if nobody steps up
to the plate to do X, then X will not happen, no matter how much people
clamor for it. Volunteers have this unfortunate characteristic, that
they will only work on what interests them, and telling them what to do
generally only succeeds in driving them away from doing what is
demanded.

I'd say that even if you are still only learning D, you can already
contribute screencasts and blog posts and whatever else you perceive
there's a lack of.  In fact, you may be uniquely poised to deliver the
most punch with your efforts, because as someone new to the language,
you share a perspective that many other newcomers will experience when
they first pick up the language, whereas the rest of us "old folks"
already know "too much" about D, and what we write would likely be full
of assumptions that newcomers don't understand yet, which makes it less
effective.

Once bitten, twice cry...