Moving back to .NET

rumbu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Sep 29 15:05:46 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 29 September 2015 at 06:16:18 UTC, Ola Fosheim
Grøstad wrote:
> On Tuesday, 29 September 2015 at 05:52:13 UTC, Ola Fosheim
> Grøstad wrote:
>
> 1. That C# and Java programmers end up being disgruntled is not
> a failure of the language, that is a failure of communicating
> that D is a system level programming language. It is not a fear
> issue, they just ended up in the wrong neighbourhood.

Yes, I'm mainly a C# programmer. There are 4 years since I'm here
and I'm not disgruntled. I doubt that D is just "a system level
programming language", this definition is not even on the landing
page. On the contrary, the landing page talks about efficiency,
control, modelling power, safety and productivity. The original
OP complained about compiler error messages and the lack of a
true IDE, these are not "qualities" of a system level programming
language, I see them as basic failures.

My main complaints are also the compiler error messages ("Out of
memory" is the most annoying one) and the Linux-centric approach
of the development, but I'm far from being disgruntled.