Could we reserve void[T] for builtin set of T ?

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Apr 2 09:00:29 PDT 2016

On 04/01/2016 02:29 PM, Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Friday, April 01, 2016 15:52:49 matovitch via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> Indeed, just wanted to point that out. (I guess that's why the
>> set was introduced before the unordered one in the c++ stl as
>> well). I feel like containers are an old topic. Last time I asked
>> I was told : wait for the allocators. What is the advancement on
>> this side ? Are there any plan at writing more containers for
>> phobos ? (I know that I am in the bad position of
>> complaining...but if there is no obstacle...I am ready to write a
>> draft of hashset in D, although surely not to phobos standards)
>
> Now that Andrei has finished the allocators, he's redesigning the
> containers, and supposedly, std.container is going to be replaced with what
> he's working on (it'll probably called something like std.collection). How
> far along he is, or when he'll actually present anything approaching a final
> design, I don't know. He's posted a container or two for discussion
> previously, but they were more esoteric things, and he was clearly still
> working on a lot of the overall design of how the containers in general
> would be put together (e.g. how they would handle Big-O in their API). Once
> Andrei is farther along, I'm sure that he'll be looking for contributions
> towards filling out a full set of containers based on his general container
> API, but for now I'd suggest that folks just use the EMSI containers.

Work on containers has been on hold for three reasons:

1. Paper submission to a conference (more details soon)

2. DConf organizing stuff

3. RCString work, which can proceed in the current language

4. Work on a DIP that allows safe reference counting.

I am confident we'll have good results for all of the above (and
containers too).

Andrei