stc.experimental.ndslice -> sci.ndslice

Ilya Yaroshenko via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Apr 17 00:25:55 PDT 2016

On Sunday, 17 April 2016 at 07:11:17 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev
wrote:
> On Sunday, 17 April 2016 at 06:10:34 UTC, Ilya Yaroshenko wrote:
>> We plan to add a set of numeric packages and this would be
>> real pain if they would be one-by-one moved from experimental
>> to stable std. So sci.* should be considered as experimental
>> during few years.
>>

>> https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/4207
>
> As I wrote on the PR --
>
> Introducing a new top-level package is a HUGE DEAL. For one
> thing, it will break build tools such as rdmd, which know which
> top-level packages to exclude from linking (as they'll be in
> phobos.lib).For another, it might conflict with users' packages.

sci name was reserved for future use:
http://code.dlang.org/packages/sci

> We need a very strong reason to do this.
>
> --
>
> Also, what precedent does this set? If we start throwing
> image-processing code into Phobos, does that mean we should
> introduce another top-level package? Where do you draw the line?

The goal is to include only good consistent basic functionality
for data/numeric/math/sci users:

1. Tensors - ndslice
2. Sparse tensors - future ndslice.sparse
3. FFT - fast & multidimensional & vectorized & pure D
4. BLAS - fast & multidimensional & vectorized & pure D