stc.experimental.ndslice -> sci.ndslice

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Apr 18 10:13:32 PDT 2016

On 4/18/16 12:13 PM, Dejan Lekic wrote:
> On Sunday, 17 April 2016 at 06:10:34 UTC, Ilya Yaroshenko wrote:
>> We plan to add a set of numeric packages and this would be real pain
>> if they would be one-by-one moved from experimental to stable std. So
>> sci.* should be considered as experimental during few years.
>>

>> https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/4207
>
> As I have said many times on both IRC and NG, I would prefer to have
> `stdx` instead of ridiculously long (4x) `std.experimental`. Then you
> would have a nice package named `stdx.sci`.
>
> PS. this is not my "invention" - Java community has `javax` for similar
> (but different, as nothing in javax is experimental) purpose!

javax, and its history and vagueness, is exactly why we have
std.experimental. std.exp was also proposed, but rejected because it's
not obvious what it means.

See, for instance, javax.swing, which was supposed to be promoted to
java package, but produced a huge backlash for people who were going to
have to modify their imports.

The idea is to spell out "expect breakage here, this module is
experimental". If you don't know what this means, then that's too bad.
But you can't complain that we didn't warn you :)

-Steve