DlangUI and CL Tools

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Apr 22 05:08:27 PDT 2016

On Friday, 22 April 2016 at 11:46:12 UTC, Dicebot wrote:

> But who are those "we" you refer to? :) Or, to rephrase, do you
> really envision a volunteer abandoning any project/task he has
> current personal interest in to work on some third-party
> project (he doesn't need) because of its strategical value?
> Call be grumpy and skeptical but open-source pretty much never
> works like that. Specifically calls for arms like yours have
> been done many times before and always with exactly 0 effective
> outcome.
>
> I am not saying that you shouldn't call for arms, just don't be
> surprised/offended if nothing happens as a result :)

Yes, yes. We all know that. We've been here long enough. I'm
being neither idealistic nor naive. But still, D has improved
drastically over just 3 r 4 years. So there is definitely a "we"
out there somewhere. And there might be people out there who
think that they would like to contribute to D but not necessarily
to Phobos. It could be anything, from artwork (icons) for DlangUI
to testing, creating themes, writing plugins. If people have the
feeling there's a future for the project, they will contribute.
It's not a call to arms. It's more like saying "Look, here's
something that is good. And you can improve it." I just think the
time has come to go beyond the language and add some bells and
whistles. With DConf coming up, maybe it's worth talking about
things like that too.