Some questions on latest work

deadalnix via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Apr 25 21:37:03 PDT 2016

Ok, let's get out of this stupid troll and have some actual
answers

On Monday, 25 April 2016 at 21:20:04 UTC, Bienlein wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been busy with other things for about a year and would
> like to ask some questions to catch up with latest
> language/library additions in D. Looking through the change
> logs simply appeared to be a bit tedious. My questions might
> look a bit like asking pain point questions on purpose, but
> it's really only about catching up with the status on some
> issues:
>
> * There was a problem with the GC leaking memory in some
> situations. Is this still the case?

As far as I know, this is not an issue on 64bits. On 32 bits,
nothing fundamental changed, but the compiler got a bit smarter
about alocating with the no scan flag, so that's better.

> * There was some talk about changing the standard library in a
> way that it can be used with the GC and without. My question is
> what the current status is concerning this topic.

Most of phobos is usable without a GC now, and it is getting
better with every releases.

> * RefCounted only used to work with structs. It would be useful
> if it worked with classes as well. Is it being considered to
> work on this?

I don't know for that one, but if that doesn't work with classes,
this is indeed a problem worth solving.