Line spacing for '///ditto' on the website

Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 26 16:56:33 PDT 2016

On Sunday, 24 April 2016 at 11:25:46 UTC, Nick Treleaven wrote:
> There should be expand/collapse buttons for overload details so
> you can compare them simultaneously.

That's not a bad idea, but I'm probably not going to do it just
because it doesn't fit well with my plan of separate pages for
each function - including overloads. On the separate pages, there
may be completely different documentation, and even if the source
says "///ditto", the generator does things like filter out params
that don't exist on this overload.

So I'd suggest just opening in two browser windows instead and
positioning them side-by-side....

It could also be done in Javascript. Maybe I will consider that
later.

> I think template args should not be elided completely in the
> summary, at least (...) should be shown in the signature.

Yeah, I actually agree with that now, as long as they are
constrained (hah) by the nowrap css rule, I think they are fine.
I am going to see about adding them on the next version.

> I think there are too many line breaks, maybe this instead:
>
> Function endsWith -> bool @anyAttributes
> (alias pred, R)
> (R doesThisEnd)
> if (isInputRange!R &&
>     ifTestable!(typeof(doesThisEnd.front), unaryFun!pred))

The counterpoint to this is any page with complex individual
arguments.

http://dpldocs.info/experimental-docs/simpledisplay.SimpleWindow.this.1.html

SimpleWindow's constructor has several parameters, most with
default values. Take away the linebreaks there and it becomes an
unreadable mess.

I don't have an example of long template arguments off the top of
my head, but even cgi.d's main mixin starts to show it:

http://dpldocs.info/experimental-docs/arsd.cgi.CustomCgiMain.html

Since template arguments can have types and default values too
(and specializers!), they can get really messy on one line as
well.

So, putting them on one line really hurts those cases, and I
don't think putting them on separate lines really hurts the easy
cases (like endsWith, or std.math
http://dpldocs.info/experimental-docs/std.math.cos.3.html it is a
bit silly to break it down there, but it doesn't really /hurt/),
I am erring on the side of using more space.

oh dear the table of contents there indeed is silly, I need to
take that back out unless there's several headers.